[Samba] Browing in Samba4 AD domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 1 19:21:14 UTC 2016

On 01/04/16 19:51, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> If AD domains are based on DNS and WINS relies on NetBIOS, what
> protocol(s) are used by computers to create and see (browse) all the
> machines of the domain?

As far as Samba is concerned it uses both, DNS & NetBIOS, but instead of
using WINS, it uses DNS to find the machines and then 'nmbd' produces
the browsing list (this is how I understand it works)

I have two DCs and a domain member running as a server, I do not uses
WINS (well not as a setting in smb.conf) but the other Linux machines
(including the member server) show up if I browse the network, the two
DCs do not.

This is down to the 'nbt' portion of the 'samba' daemon not having the
required code to browse the network. You should also be aware that you
cannot run 'nmbd' on a DC, it will conflict with 'nbt'

Rowland