[Samba] Browing in Samba4 AD domain

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 18:51:19 UTC 2016

If AD domains are based on DNS and WINS relies on NetBIOS, what protocol(s)
are used by computers to create and see (browse) all the machines of the
domain?

While it's clear to me that a hostname will resolve to an IP address
through DNS queries, I'm not sure how is the browsing list created and
maintained. In old NT style domain, any computer of the domain could be
selected to act as a master browser, and the use of WINS could just
simplify this by having all the machines registered to the WINS server
based on NetBIOS names.

So now in a Samba4 AD domain, does it make sense the concept of master
browser yet? Who maintains a browsing list? If any, how is this browsing
list maintained? is it based on NetBIOS or DNS or both? I'm asking this
because regardless of the fact that I have 2 Samba4 AD controllers without
browsing features built-in, I am still being able to see certain machines
in my network. So I guess "someone" is in keeping some kind of browsing
list active.