[Samba] Using rsync to backup user redirected documents on ReadyNAS

lingpanda101 at gmail.com lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:18:25 UTC 2016

Hello,

     Using Samba 4.4 as a DC on Ubuntu 12.04LTS. Users 'My Documents'
are redirected to a member server running Samba 4.1.17 on Debian Wheezy.
I joined the ReadyNAS to the DC and set permissions using file explorer.
When I ssh to the ReadyNAS, I see the following on the folder destination.

*drwxrwx---+ 1 administrator domain admins 20 Apr  1 10:55 pfms1*

The rsync syntax and result from the member server is.

*pfms1:~# rsync -XAavz /srv/samba/redirect/users/username/
admin at NAS1:/data/pfms1**
**admin at nas1's password:**
**sending incremental file list**
**rsync: failed to set times on "/data/pfms1/.": Operation not permitted (1)

*snip files transferred

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

*I'm thinking it's because the local user admin(on the ReadyNAS) isn't
the owner or part of 'Domain Admins', and allowed to update the files
modification time

-t, --times preserve modification times

Is this correct? If I'm correct, will 'chown' destroy the xattr's on the
folder and files?

The ReadyNAS is running

smbd version 4.2.4

Thanks.