[Samba] Fwd: net rpc lookup from group names that start with "-"

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:59:58 UTC 2015

I bet that won't work.
net rpc ..... "\-dash group" -> the shell look into quotes and interpret
things inside quotes. Because of double quotes. So the shell will interpret
\- and send only the dash to the command.

net rpc ..... '\-dash group' -> the shell do not interpret things inside
the quotes, because simple quotes. The shell will send [\-dash group] to
the command.

This is the same as:
net rpc ..... "\\-dash group" -> shell interpret \\, transform it into \
and send \- to the command.

But the point is command is waiting for switches after dashes (-a -o...
anything to tell the command how to react). The standard to tell commands
there is no more switches is double dashes "--". And that double dashes
must be surrounded by spaces to be one word and be correctly interpreted by
the command.