[Samba] Questions About Bind_DLZ

David Minard david at scem.uws.edu.au
Tue Sep 29 04:34:58 UTC 2015

G'day All,

     I've set up a new samba (4.2.3) DC using the bind-dlz DNS (bind
9.9).  All went well, and the DC seemed to function well.  Machines
joined, group policies etc seemed to work well.

     All samba configs are as they were created by the initial
provision/domain join.

     The bind entries are as shown in the samba wiki - mostly.  I've put
restrictions on what subnets can access it.

     However, looking at the logs for bind, I see the following every
time bind gets reloaded:

28-Sep-2015 10:18:01.952 database: warning: samba_dlz: Ignoring
duplicate zone 'samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au' from
'DC=@,DC=samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samba4,DC=scem,DC=westernsydney,DC=edu,DC=au'
28-Sep-2015 10:18:01.953 database: warning: samba_dlz: Ignoring
duplicate zone '_msdcs.samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au' from
'DC=@,DC=_msdcs.samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=samba4,DC=scem,DC=westernsydney,DC=edu,DC=au'
28-Sep-2015 17:20:19.626 database: warning: samba_dlz: Ignoring
duplicate zone 'samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au' from
'DC=@,DC=samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samba4,DC=scem,DC=westernsydney,DC=edu,DC=au'
28-Sep-2015 17:20:19.657 database: warning: samba_dlz: Ignoring
duplicate zone '_msdcs.samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au' from
'DC=@,DC=_msdcs.samba4.scem.westernsydney.edu.au,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=samba4,DC=scem,DC=westernsydney,DC=edu,DC=au'

     Is there any reason I'm getting these duplicate zone messages?

     I have now also set up a second and third DC (and need two more
later), as we run over 5 different sites.  These also work well, apart
from initially having trouble with after join replication. "samba-tool
drl showrepl" showed up errors, but I think that was file permissions on
the DNS stuff, and after going through the samba wiki again, these
problems went away. and the DCs all seem to do what they are designed to
do.  All good.

     However, on DC2 (samba4-10) I see the following in the DNS logs:

29-Sep-2015 10:57:43.108 database: error: samba_dlz b9_format: unhandled
record type 0
29-Sep-2015 10:57:43.109 database: error: samba_dlz b9_format: unhandled
record type 0

     Only once mind you.  Should I be concerned?  The other DCs didn't
get this error.

     Lastly, as we are a multi site set up, we currently run bind using
"Views".  I tried to incorporate the bind_DLZ stuff into a duplicate of
our current bind set up, so that when samba_bind couldn't resolve an
address, the rest of bind could, and respond with the correct "view" of
the request.  It seemed to work, except that bind from time to time
crashed.  I did post about this a while ago, but no response.

     However, my question is this:  Has anyone else done this?  If so,
how?  It would be great if I can get this to go and respect the views
for non samba.domain DNS queries.  For example. "nslookup
print.scem.uws.edu.au" should always respond with the printer's IP at
the campus that the request was made, rather than with the IP of the
printer of the campus where the DNS server is which was queried.

     Any advice on any of this would be much appreciated.

--

Cheers,
David Minard.

School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics
Building Y - Penrith Campus (Kingswood)
Locked bag 1797
Penrith South DC
NSW 1797

[Sometimes waking up just isn't worth the insult of the day to come.]

believed to be clean.