[Samba] option: --use-ntvfs on the provision

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:29:02 UTC 2015

On 28/09/15 20:38, Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0 wrote:
> What's the meaning of using --use-ntvfs during the provision?
> What's the advantages of this option?

ntvfs was the filesystem that was planned for Samba AD DC, it was
dropped in favour of s3fs before samba4 was released. There are no
advantages in using it, in fact it could be a disadvantage, I am sure I
recently saw a post from Jeremy Allison about removing ntvfs.

> What about the option --use-xattr?

You need this if you want to use ACLs from windows.

> What's difference between use it on the provision (samba-tool provision --use-xattr) and putting it on the /etc/fstab file?

Using it whilst provisioning, sets up samba4 to use ACLs (basically) and
you probably don't need to add it to fstab unless you are using ext2 or
similar.

> Regards.
>
> others: Once I installed the provision, the smb.conf and others don't appeared. Do you any idea?

What do you mean 'Once I installed the provision, the smb.conf and
others don't appeared' ?
Have you run 'samba-tool domain provision' ?

Rowland