[Samba] /etc/hosts and DHCP

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Sep 28 17:48:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:58 AM, mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [snip]
> >
> > I have been looking for a way to centralize account management within my
> > linux machines, but doing so via AD sounds very indirect.
> >

> What do you meant by "looking for a way to centralize account management
> within my linux machines"?

I have a bunch of Linux machines, mostly VM's.  They have a bunch of
standard accounts, my personal account, and a few miscellaneous accounts
that vary by machines.  Most of the account names are generic, e.g., root
or cups, and their scope should be limited to my systems (e.g., my root is
not the root account on someone else's Linux boxes).  I want to ensure that
the uids and gids are associated with the same accounts on each machine.  I
was getting ready to do so using LDAP.

Both Samba and AD use LDAP, though I gather with Samba 4 LDAP has been
integrated into Samba and I suspect using it for other purposes is not
intended, and maybe not even possible.  But maybe if Samba is not a
controller LDAP isn't active?

> Did you meant you want your Linux machines can use centralized users
> database? (Here you would plug your linux on AD)
> Or did you meant you want to have another database with your own users
> dedicated to Linux Boxes? (Here you would need a new AD domain or something
> similar)

I'm not sure what the distinction is between your last 2 questions.  The
users database would be centralized for my machines; it would not be
centralized in some campus-wide database, e.g., AD.
Ross