[Samba] exam projects

buhorojo buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:16:18 UTC 2015

On 24/09/15 15:44, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 24/09/15 14:18, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>

>> On 09/23/2015 03:30 PM, buhorojo wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> A question came today about appliances. We had a look here:
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/VirtualMachines
>>> but that seems to be for setting up a machine. We would still need
>>> to install it. What we want to do is have an appliance so we don't
>>> have to install to just play around to see if we can get a project
>>> out of it. We don't know if it's possible to have a AD setup as an
>>> appliance. Lots of other unknowns too such as how would we change
>>> the domain name and ips. Anyway, if anyone has any experience of
>>> this that would be great. Thanks.
>>
>> For an appliance, consider an armv7 board.  Some like Raspberry, I do
>> not.  I use the Cubieboards.  The Cubieboard2 can be had for $65 and
>> is better than a RPi2.  With Sata etc.  Fedora22 is available; F23 in
>> beta as is Centos7.
>>
>> I have a Cubieboard with the Centos7-arm beta.  I have a special
>> build of the sernet 4.2 for it.
>>
>> You can run your armv7 completely on a 16Gb mSD card.  With the
>> Cubieboards, you can easily use sata by putting all your partitions
>> on the sata (connect it to your installation system with a USB/sata
>> adapter to do this), and ONLY have uboot on a 4Gb cheap mSD (do the
>> install on the mSD, then delete all partitions).
>>
>> Have fun!  I am.
>>

> Seeing as he was trying to get someone to do half his home work for
> him, I don't think he will want to spend money buying something. I
> also don't think he has realised that he will probably lose marks, by
> not being able to show how and why he decided to go the way he did.
> Rowland

Hi
We are supposed to be catering for a computer room with data shared
between windows and Linux machines. Well, that's one of the projects
anyway. We tried a DC on a pi but 24 hours later it still hadn't
installed on their version of ubuntu(?). Does the Cubie go any faster I
wonder? If we go ahead the posts here will be used as a feasibility
study. Cost is important but not the deciding factor.
Thanks