[Samba] Copy usernames and passwords to another machine

Chris Rodgers christopher.rodgers at cardiov.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 24 13:47:37 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I have two linux machines. The first is setup with samba users already
on Samba 4.2 on Fedora 22.

I'd like to also add these users on the second machine (RHEL7 also Samba
4), and keep the same passwords.

I have looked on the Samba FAQs and see I can use:
pdbedit -e smbpasswd:FILENAME_HERE

But there seem to be three potential problems:
1. Approximately half of the accounts on my system give an error:
"build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with non-uid based user RID."
2. All the smbpasswd-style lines that are output by pdbedit have the
first hash set to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. The manual says this means the
accounts are disabled?? So will no accounts work after migration?
3. There are warnings on the web that the smbpasswd format doesn't
store all the information in the tdbsam backend. Does this matter??

So, any advice on what is the best way to do this migration would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.