[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Sep 23 17:48:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, Dario Lesca wrote:

> Then if I grab the official .src package, change appropriately[1] the
> .spec an rebuild it, I get a package within the AD DC support and the
> eventually security redhat patch, that I can use with yum localinstall
> or localupdate?

If you're happy with being stuck on 4.1 until RHEL8 comes out, you can
probably do that.  Don't forget that the whole point of enterprise distros
(and debian stable) is stability.  That means not upgrading software
unnecessarily.  If the goal is just to have "supported" packages with DC
support, it should work fine.  If you need new features, you're going to
have to roll your own or find someone who will provide it for you
(sernet/samba+).

> [1] What, and how, do I change into .spec?

I just took a look at this and you have to change

%global with_mitkrb5 1
%global with_dc 0

%global with_mitkrb5 0
%global with_dc 1

You probably also need to add "--without clustering" to your rpmbuild
command line.

If you build "--with testsuite" it would do the same thing as modifying
the spec file, but the testsuite fails the build for me.  Modifying the
spec file did build successfully and generated samba-dc and samba-dc-libs
packages with a lot of files (including, suspiciously, a file which I
don't see in sernet called /usr/lib64/mit_samba.so).  However, I didn't
test to see if the packages actually work.

If sernet stops updating 4.1, I might consider going this route in the
future, but I'll stick with sernet 4.1 for now.