[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Sep 23 02:34:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:51, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it hard not to see some plan behind the fact that the Samba AD component
> is not available from the major distros.

Just my two-cents: I installed the out-of-the-box Samba 4.0 from the Slackware
64 14.1 distro (still considered a "major distro"?), and have since updated from
the Slackware repos to 4.1.17.  The AD/DC bit ran perfectly from day-one, no
problems at all.  This server does quite a lot.  It is working as a replacement
for SBS 2008 and does "Windows Authentication" for all office WIN7 workstations,
redirected folders, remote desktop login, mail using Outlook/IMAP/Dovecot, DNS,
DHCP, the Samba log lets me monitor rogue DHCP connections and failed AD login
attempts, and more! AD is managed via RSAT from a WIN7 workstation ...  no
complaints or problems at all in the 8 months I've been running it live
production.  I'm no guru; this was my first Samba4 AD/DC installation (after
abandoning a long and fruitless attempt to use OpenChange).

Support-wise, this maillist helped me solve a couple of minor problems.  So far,
the vanilla "major distro" version works fine and I don't feel the need for paid
support, though I do favor the idea generally (and would like such for
Dovecot, btw!).

--Mark