[Samba] Samba package options (was: Re: Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 23 02:27:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 20:01 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 22/09/15 19:49, Guilherme Boing wrote:
> > I've been running 4.3.0 on CentOS as AD DC and I've had no problems
> > so far.
> > Also upgraded from 4.2.3 to 4.3.0 using the tarball and everything
> > went ok.
> >

> This is what I have been trying to get across, there is no need to
> run
> around like headless chickens, just because the Sernet packages are
> no
> longer freely available. The same code that they contain is still
> available, *all* of it, not just bits without the required good bits,
>
> you just have to compile it yourself.

Even this isn't required.  Samba is still shipped, including the AD DC,
in current releases of Ubuntu and Debian.  Those packages may not be as
current, but a source-based install will be out of date pretty soon as
well.
In my view, the SerNet packages got popular because there was a big gap
in the market:
 - Ubuntu and Debian took ages to package Samba 4.0, because the
package needed to be rewritten due to the previous Samba4 and samba
packaging split. - Fedora and RHEL chose not to package the AD DC due to the Heimdal
issue discussed elsewhere in the thread. - Samba 4.2 was blocked in Debian pending a re-integration of Heimdal
(undoing the work to use the system Heimdal).
I applaud SerNet for their efforts in supporting Samba and just as I do
with all who both comply with the GPL and build a business on Samba,
wish them the very best with monetising the mind-share that they have
cultivated.  We will all watch with interest.
That said, I hope those conditions have past.  Samba 4.3 has been
packaged for Debian experimental, and with help that can move to
unstable, testing and backports as well as Unbutu.
On the RHEL side of the fence, Nico posted his rebuild for RHEL earlier
in the thread: https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/
It would be great if even a fraction of the hand-wringing effort seen
here was applied to this and those packages!
Thanks,
Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett