[Samba] Heimdal, MIT and packaging

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Tue Sep 22 11:53:21 UTC 2015

On 09/22/2015 05:28 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 10:14 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 22/09/15 09:56, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> Hi Andrew, thanks for setting out the state of kerberos and Samba, I
>> had
>> a look at the wikipage and noticed it was written nearly three and
>> half
>> years ago by yourself and, except for minor updates, has never really
>> been updated. As you seem to understand what is going on with
>> kerberos,
>> could I ask you to check the page over and update it as needed.
> To be clear, 'Ab' on the wiki is Alexander Bokovoy (currently with Red
> Hat), not myself.  That page is a planning document in support of the
> effort primarily out of Red Hat to move Samba's AD DC to MIT Kerberos.
>
> Additionally, we should be thankful to Red Hat, it is a major
> undertaking, and would not be possible without that corporate support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I'm thinking the same thing.

We should be thankful to Sernet, RedHat, Suse and others for employing
Samba developers, and if and when our distro compiles a new package, it
will have been because of the work of these fellows (guys & gals)

And, the time people like Rowland, Andrew and others (too many to name
lest I forget one) spend helping endusers is another expense of time and
money that can be attributed to Sernet, RedHat, Suse, etc.