[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 22 11:12:07 UTC 2015

Am 22.09.2015 um 12:24 schrieb Peter Grotz - Obel und Partner GbR:
> it´s obvious that not that much people build their own packages because they don´t have the necessary experience. But they want to help testing the new AD features that the samba team develops. Using Suse or RedHat AD is not really usable. So people take centos or debian or something similar to use these great work done by the samba team.
> In my opinion the lack of a common test basis will outbrake community and in consequence the whole samba project.
> I understand that sernet must be paid for their work in some kind of way but when you look at their prices: omg!!! A small company with let´s say 2 DCs an 2 fileserver must pay 1380€ per year?!
> Come on Rowland! That way we can change for MS in the same way. That´s maybe cheaper...  :( A lot of people might think that way.
> Wheater this is good for the samba project I don’t know.

besides that it not may be cheaper - CAL's where already mentioned:

if you have a serious problem and you are one or in a group of 100
ms-customers guess who cares to solve your problem instead saying "don't
do this and that because it's not supported"

in case of Sernet you talk with Samba core-developers which likely find
a solution for your problem, can backport this to the next minor update
(depending on the impact of changes) and yes with you money the free
samba code get a bugfix and a feature

guess what: the same way *you* get features and bug fixes where other
customers had they payment with their support contract and that's
typically called a win-win-situation you *never* achieve with microsoft

and even if it costs 20% more i would still prefer a small company where
i can talk with the developers directly instead a clueless support-monkey