[Samba] Shares with Windows ACLs on standalone server?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Sep 22 07:00:12 UTC 2015

Hello Mathias,

Am 21.09.2015 um 18:22 schrieb mathias dufresne:
> NT4 domains are old Microsoft domain.
> AD domains are new version of Microsoft domain, they came up with Windows
> 2000 Server.
>
> Samba 3 is able to host NT4 domain.
> Samba 4 is able to host both NT4 and AD domains. Not at same time of course
> : )

Right.

> AD domains in Samba4 do *not* support LDAP backend.

Not directly. Samba AD uses it own built-in LDAP server.

> Finally the ACLs part.
> Here I use Samba4 acting as AD domain, file systems are XFS and shares
> automagically support Windows ACLs.
>
> Perhaps if you don't need LDAP as backend you can design a file server
> using Samba4 which support Windows ACLs without doing anything more than
> installing Samba + declaring a new share + declaring a new user...

If you're having and AD, and not and standalone server like the subject
of the mail says, then you don't need LDAP (remember Samba AD has one
built-in). In this case you're looking for a Member Server:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server
Users can be administered central via RFC2307
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/RFC2307_backend

However, if you're not having any domain, you're looking for a
standalone server (install Samba, setup share in smb.conf, create user).
We don't have this in the Wiki yet, but there are thousands of pages out
there showing examples.

Regards,
Marc