[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Mon Sep 21 15:47:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 09:02AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> RHEL's decision to use the incompatible "Heimdal" library for Kerberos make it a
> lot more awkward to compile with directory controller support, which is partly
> why I maintain my build.

I'm not writing about the main topic of "Sernet ... no longer free", but your
above statement caught my eye.

Why do you say that the Heimdal library for Kerberos is incompatible? According
to this link:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_KerberosSamba4

Samba4 ships with the Heimal. That link says,

  "Please note that you do not need to install or configure any other Kerberos KDC
  for Samba to work.  Samba includes a AD-compatible KDC, currently based on an
  included copy of the Heimdal project."

What incompatabilities are you talking about.  Please respond as I am having
trouble getting Dovecot to NTLM authenticate with Samba4 and this could be part
of the explanation.

Thanks --Mark