[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 11:51:43 UTC 2015

The point is most distributions are late regarding available version of
Samba they have and Samba is under heavy development which makes sometimes
we can need last version of Samba rather than the one provided by our
favorite distribution. One example: trust relationship.

How would we do in that case to be able to have needed functionality and
still be able to discuss there about our issues? A common way to compile
Samba should be provided.

I spoke about trust relationship because I compiled Samba 4.3.0 RCs to test
them but, according to how Samba Team is working, I expect others
functionalities should appear in close future - as AD 2012 support - and
some would also compile their Samba.

Following is the part of my install script to compile Samba 4.3.0. This
script is for Centos 7.
  yum install --assumeyes gcc attr libacl-devel libblkid-devel \
    gnutls-devel readline-devel python-devel gdb pkgconfig \
    krb5-workstation zlib-devel setroubleshoot-server libaio-devel \
    setroubleshoot-plugins policycoreutils-python \
    libsemanage-python perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker perl-Parse-Yapp \
    perl-Test-Base popt-devel libxml2-devel libattr-devel \
    keyutils-libs-devel cups-devel bind-utils libxslt \
    docbook-style-xsl openldap-devel autoconf
  yum install --assumeyes redhat-lsb-core pycrypto pam-devel xfsprogs-devel

  tar xfz samba-4.3.0.tar.gz --directory=/root
  cd /root/samba-4.3.0

  cpu_count="`cat /proc/cpuinfo | awk '{ if($1 == "processor") print $3 }'
| tail -1`"
  jobs=$(($cpu_count + 2))
  ./configure --enable-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var -j$jobs
  make -j$jobs
  make install
  cd -

  echo /usr/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/samba4
  ldconfig

First "yum install" should come from samba wiki without modification.
The second one is for:
redhat-lsb-core -> reuse sernet's init script
pycrypto -> be able to create trust relationship (some error was displayed
without that package, I believe this package can be installed after
compilation time)
pam-devel + xfsprogs-devel -> more functionalities in Samba related to PAM
and XFS.

echo /usr/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/samba4 ; ldconfig -> Samba was refusing
to start complaining it did no find some libraries which are hosted in
/usr/lib. I'm still wondering why this is needed as /usr/lib should be
already added... Anyway, adding that solve the issue.

The resultant binaries seems, to me, to work as Sernet package was working.
But I did not check all paths nor all functionalities.

Perhaps, we - the mailing list users - should work together to define a
standard way to compile... No idea about how complex this would be...

This would address to lost of Sernet packages and we also could provide
link to the compilation wiki page to users who compiled their Samba in a
rush (sometimes even without proceeding to ./configure --help)