[Samba] Samba 3.6 doesn't accept force user / force group with domain name user

Jakov Sosic jsosic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 11:11:50 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I had a samba 3.5.x install (CentOS 6), joined to an AD domain named
EXAMPLE. I also have a local user/group on a linux boxes example:example.

This is an example share:

[app]
     path                 = /home/example/www/app
     valid users          = @"EXAMPLE\itdesign", @"EXAMPLE\itdev"
     force user           = "example"
     force group          = "example"
     browseable           = yes
     writeable            = yes
     guest ok             = no
     guest only           = no

This works perfectly on 3.5.x.

BUT

After upgrading to 3.6.x, everything works EXCEPT that I cannot have
force user or force group set to 'example' in my smb.conf. Windows
clients report the following:

"The user name could not be found"

when I change 'force user' username to something else, I get:

"The group name could not be found".

So, basically, this is what I gotta do to make it work:

[app]
     path                 = /home/example/www/app
     valid users          = @"EXAMPLE\itdesign", @"EXAMPLE\itdev"
     force user           = "someone"
     force group          = "else"
     browseable           = yes
     writeable            = yes
     guest ok             = no
     guest only           = no

And then it works...

Any ideas? Did Samba 3.6 disable the force user with the same name as
the domain? Is there an option that would allow this behaviour?