[Samba] getting error Ignoring parameter browse directory and winbind sequence directory

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:46:24 UTC 2015

On 21/09/15 11:15, VigneshDhanraj G wrote:
> I am using debian wheezy and
>
> available= yes
> restrict anonymous= 0
> server string= VIGNESH
> Workgroup= WORKGROUP
> security= user
> domain master= auto
> preferred master= auto
> local master= yes
> os level= 20
> invalid users= bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp gopher
> map to guest= Bad User
> host msdfs= yes
> strict allocate= yes
> encrypt passwords= yes
> passdb backend= smbpasswd
> printcap name= lpstat
> printable= no
> load printers= yes
> max smbd processes= 500
> getwd cache= yes
> syslog= 0
> use sendfile= yes
> browse directory= /tmp/samba
> winbind sequence directory= /tmp/samba
> log level= 0
> max log size= 50
> unix extensions= no
> veto files= /.AppleDouble/.AppleDB/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
> Folder/Temporary Items/:2eDS_Store/
> dos charset= ascii
> state directory= /mnt/system/samba/system

You can very easily upgrade Samba to 4.1.17 by adding backports to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file

However, if that is your *exact* smb.conf, well, it is the weirdest one
I have ever seen. If you remove all the defaults, you end up with this:

server string= VIGNESH
Workgroup= WORKGROUP
invalid users= bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp gopher
map to guest= Bad User
strict allocate= yes
passdb backend= smbpasswd
printcap name= lpstat
max smbd processes= 500
syslog= 0
use sendfile= yes
max log size= 50
unix extensions= no
veto files= /.AppleDouble/.AppleDB/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
Folder/Temporary Items/:2eDS_Store/
dos charset= ascii
state directory= /mnt/system/samba/system

There are also these two lines, the left hand side commands do not seem
to exist.
browse directory= /tmp/samba
winbind sequence directory= /tmp/samba

You don't seem to have '[global]' or any shares, it seems to refer to a
standalone server. It also doesn't seem to have any of the lines needed
to connect to an AD DC.

I would suggest you go and have a read here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

Rowland