[Samba] unixHomeDirectory, loginShell, etc. on Samba4 AD DC

buhorojo buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:15:43 UTC 2015

On 17/09/15 13:11, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:00:36 +0200
> buhorojo <buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> I only did it as a project.
> TBH: Given the grief getting Samba4 going as an AD DC has given me, it
> had pretty much gotten to "I'm gonna finish this just to see if I can
> make it work" status, here, too.  It was increasingly unlikely ever to
> see production status.
>
>> But if I can do it, it must be easy. I'll find
>> the links if you're stuck.
> Well, for starters, the documentation on the SambaWiki again seems to
> be incorrect.  But, once I worked around that, I found the included
> apparmor configs were wildly incorrect.  At that point, since we no
> longer had any interest in putting it into production, there was no
> longer justification for time.  And I've lost all  interest in spending
> *my own* time on it.
>
>> But I do know that to do what you want to
>> do, you'll have to lose winbind. It is not configurable and not ready
>> for production. Many of the problems here are about winbind. That
>> says a lot.
> It does.  Unfortunately, given the follow-up your comments received:
> Apparently saying that was the equivalent of telling the Emperor he
> has no clothes.  Upon my relating that to my colleagues: All remaining
> IT support for the effort evaporated.
>
>> HTH
> It did, but not *quite* in the manner in which you intended, I expect ;)
>
> I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the many others
> who so generously gave of their time and expertise to try to help me.
> Special thanks to Rowland Penny and L.P.H. van Belle, in particular.
>
> Regards,
> Jim
Let's be honest though, it's a wonderful coding achievement and it's
great for hobbyists to tinker around with. Our teacher struggled to keep
it up and running and we as students found it easy to break. It also
helped me get a grade B in my GCSE exam. Installing a domain with s4
sssd w8 and opensuse sharing data. It's not hard to configure- a grade B
student can do it- but there are easier ways to share files securely
these days and you don't constantly have to fiddle with configuration
files. I ought to add a reminder though. We may be privileged since
cloud for ordinary companies is priced per user I think. As a school, we
get it free.

Well done for persisting as long as you did. I was forced due to exam
pressures to continue until the bitter end!

Lest they feel we're speaking against them and their beloved project,
we'd also like to thank the folk here and those on the opensuse list. We
often wonder where they get all their time from. They must also realise
that a windows domain is not the best solution for everything. Thanks.

(Our English teacher helped us with the wording. We should take no credit.)