[Samba] Windows Migration
brihaupt at cox.net
Wed Sep 16 17:58:17 UTC 2015
I've gone through several attempts of this migration but the process has been basically the following
1. Bring a clean Windows Server online.
2. Join it to the domain as a member server and DCPromo it to domain controller. I have also tried dcpromo with it on a workgroup and joining the domain as a DC from the start.
3. On the Windows server transfer the 5 FSMO roles it knows of.
4. Ensure everything is working.
5. Take down SAMBA.
6. Use the Metadata cleanup vbscript.
7. Modify DNS records so remove all traces of the original DC.
More information about the samba