[Samba] Windows Migration

Brian Haupt brihaupt at cox.net
Wed Sep 16 13:12:08 UTC 2015

We are trying to migrate from Samba 4.X to Windows Active directory. Everything seems to work well until Samba is taken offline. DNS is then no longer to update automatically via "ipconfig /registerdns" on the clients nor are we able to add new A Records. When  trying to add new A Records DNS Manager reports
"The host record #pcname.#domain cannot be created.
Refused"
We have tried letting DNS Replicate as part of the DC promo and we have tried creating the DNS Zones manually as secondary and then upgrading them. This same error occurs with Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2.