[Samba] unixHomeDirectory, loginShell, etc. on Samba4 AD DC

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:56:07 UTC 2015

On 16/09/15 09:16, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> On this subject..
> I asked Jim directly for some extra info, since im lots in the thread.
>
> As i understand he needs a "local" and Ad users.
>
> Maybe this is usefull
>
> libpam-mklocaluser
>
> When the user log in for the first time, a local user is created in /etc/passwd and primary group created in /etc/group, and a local home directory is created in /home. This is useful on roaming computers when the password is set up to be cached by for example libpam-ccreds or sssd to allow login without network connectivity using the password provided by a network authentication service like Kerberos or LDAP.
>
> And some extra info on this
> http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Caching_password__user_and_group_on_a_roaming_Debian_laptop.html
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

I don't think this is going to work Louis :-)

The OP wants to use the DC for everything, as a fileserver and
authentication etc. So if he was to use what you are suggesting, when AD
user 'fred' first logs into the DC, an attempt to create a local user
called 'fred' would be attempted and I don't think it would happen. I
think it would error out with something like 'user already exists'.

Rowland