[Samba] Wither "uidNumber" and "gidNumber"? (was: Re: ldbedit: no matching records - cannot edit (newly-created user))

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:36:10 UTC 2015

Hi Jim,

First I apologize: I did not re-read everything.

Do you use winbind in /etc/nsswitch.conf? I expect a yes as an answer as it
builds user attributes using primaryGoupID and also forge its own home
directory.

As far as I have understood winbind is not configurable for AD attributes
used to build users for Linux systems, so your users will have a primary
group set to primaryGroupID.

This is not really an issue on DC: users are not supposed to connected on
DC, no files should be created - except from your admins - and so no
incoherencies (in files ownership) should happen.

For no-DC it matters as users can connect on them to work, create files and
so on.

If you don't speak about DC you could replace winbind by ssd in
nsswitch.conf as SSSD is configurable. Your users would be able to use
uidNumber and gidNumber and their home directory will be filled with
unixHomeDirectory if you want to.

Lot of other attributes can be configured, you should check "man sssd-ldap"
then search for "ldap_" to get configurable attributes. These ldap_*
options are valid also if you are using SSSD with "id_provider = ad".

Now to answer to last mail from Rowland, primary group is important in UNIX
world as this group is mainly used give group ownership of newly created
files and folders. For security reasons or to keep files accessible to
others users on shared folders, what GID is used as primary group is
sometimes crucial.
For accessing files all groups are checked, so memberOf multi-valued
attribute is sufficient here, for write accesses, Unix systems do not take
care of others groups than the primary one.

Cheers,

mathias