[Samba] Wither "uidNumber" and "gidNumber"? (was: Re: ldbedit: no matching records - cannot edit (newly-created user))

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Mon Sep 14 17:14:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:36:31 -0300
Guilherme Boing <kolt+samba at frag.com.br> wrote:

> Are you using nslcd by any chance ?
[snip]

Nope.

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:56:20 +0200
buhorojo <buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
> getent returns primaryGroupID, not gidNumber

I can see that.

So what is the point of gidNumber in a user's record if it does
essentially nothing other than to take up space, possibly duplicate
another entry (primaryGroupID) or possibly be misleading?

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is