[Samba] Wither "uidNumber" and "gidNumber"? (was: Re: ldbedit: no matching records - cannot edit (newly-created user))

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Sun Sep 13 14:37:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:30:38 +0100
Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Is that my granny I see coming, I think I will show her how to suck
> eggs :-D

Hey!  You're the one who wrote "...there is nothing, datawise, stored
in PAM." :)

> > Unless the user's credentials and other information are available
> > via the Samba4 AD: Removing the user from the native Unix passwd
> > (and related) files would render the user unable to log in under
> > Unix.
>
> Guess what the RFC2307 attributes are for, yes, you've got it, they
> are used for the users Unix info stored in AD. I am typing this on
> a laptop running Linux Mint 17, my login name is *not*
> in /etc/passwd, but I can login and if I run 'getent passwd
> rowland', I get this:
>
> rowland:*:10000:10000::/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>
> If I run: cat /etc/passwd | grep 'rowland'
>
> I get nothing
>
> So where is all that info coming from ?

But, as I wrote when our posts the the list just crossed: Looks
like the /etc/shadow password store must remain?

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is