[Samba] Wither "uidNumber" and "gidNumber"? (was: Re: ldbedit: no matching records - cannot edit (newly-created user))

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Sun Sep 13 13:52:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:57:19 +0100
Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Previously with samba you could have (and probably needed to have)
> the user stored in /etc/passwd and where ever you stored the samba
> users (ldap etc)
> Now with AD, you *cannot* have a local user on a Unix machine that
> also exists in AD, the Unix tools just cannot cope with this, i.e.
> getent will not know which 'user' to show the info for, when
> setting permissions with chmod which user is the owner - the local
> one or the one in AD. You just create all the users in AD and
> forget /etc/passwd to a certain extent.
[snip]

> Yes, I think you are, What I meant is that there is nothing,
> datawise, stored in PAM.

PAM isn't a data store.  PAM stands for "Pluggable Authentication
Module".  It is a mechanism whereby user identification and
authentication is abstracted from underlying data stores.  E.g.:
passwd, NIS, LDAP, or, in this case, Samba4 AD, I suspect.

Unless the user's credentials and other information are available via
the Samba4 AD: Removing the user from the native Unix passwd (and
related) files would render the user unable to log in under Unix.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is