[Samba] samba 4.1.17

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 17:14:23 UTC 2015

On 11/09/15 23:57, Tadewos Alemneh wrote:
> I've installed samba 4.1.17 as a pdc on Ubuntu 12.04server. I wanted to use the same samba 4 as file server, where users sharecommon Documents. Therefore I’ve created some users and groups and gave them fullpermissions to their corresponding folders. The path for shared folders is /usr/local/samba/var/.In /usr/local/samba/var/ I’ve created the share folders withthe command for eg. “mkdir Documents” (Documents is one of the shared folder names). So far is every thing went good. All Users can login tothe machine (primary domain controller). They can map the shares as networkdrive on windows machines. They also have access to their folders andDocuments. But at times, these same users got “access denied” messages to theirown ms office and pdf files. Further these users are not able to access filesthey downloaded from the internet (say it email attachments or free download fileslike pdf, graphics …) and saved to their folders.  When I login in as an administrator I noticed that the permissionrights given to the user on this folder is lost for some documents (but notfor other files of the same type like .doc, .pdf etc) created by the useritself. If users have to regain access to the access denied documents, I mustlogin (as an administrator) and give them again exclusive rights to these particularfiles in order they can open, edit and save the files. This issue occurs not always but now and then at least ones in a day. Is this aknown issue or did I make a mistake in configuring the shares? How can I fixthis problem? Thank youTadewos

OK, firstly, I don't think you have installed samba as a PDC, I think
you have installed an AD DC. I also am struggling to help you because
you do not tell us how you set the permissions on the folders and what
you set them to. I would also move the shares to somewhere else, you
really shouldn't put shares there.
Could you please post your smb.conf (you can sanitise this) so we can
see what, if anything, you have altered.

Rowland