[Samba] Accidentially upgraded production DC to git master branch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 10 22:49:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 16:04 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> The wiki used to have a warning about using samba from git in
> production
> (why did you remove it Marc ?). You cannot be sure that it isn't
> broken,
> it shouldn't be, but it could be. What is in samba-master gets
> branched
> off for the next release (or so I understand), this is then released
> as
> 'rc' candidates to find and fix any bugs, you are therefore getting
> any
> possible unfixed bugs by using samba-master. I would suggest you use
> the
> latest stable version (4.3.0) instead, but of course, I cannot force
> you
> to do so.

I know it looks like that, but that isn't really how Samba development,
particularly on the AD DC, actually works.

git master is actually pretty good, most of the time.  All our code is
run under a CI process that requires that we pass tests before the
checkin lands, and our review process requires not only that the code
be looked over by another team member, but that it complies with our
policies on having matching tests.

Of course, bugs can be found and fixed during the rc -> release
process, but if you look at the git diff between 4.3 rc1 and 4.3.0,
there really are not that many changes, and they have to be put in
master first *anyway*.

The 'risk' in running git master is that the additional manual testing
that you are all doing (you are all testing our release candidates,
right?) hasn't been done.  Also, sometimes features/fixes land in
master that turn out to be a bad idea on reflection, and have to be
reverted.

We always strive to land code in a release-ready fashion, even if only
part of a feature is present, but sometimes (like happened in 4.3) we
have to revert or disable a feature after it landed.

I still always recommend running the production releases, but I want to
demystify a little of what does and does not happen between rc1 and the
final .0 release.  We are actually trying to make this less special,
and do that work before code lands in git master, so we can make
releases more often.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--