[Samba] nfs4 mounted homedir and kerberos tickets

Ritter, Marcel (RRZE) marcel.ritter at fau.de
Wed Sep 9 06:39:20 UTC 2015

Hi Louis,

please run "ssh -v" on client and member server and post the output.

Did I get you right, that - when connection from your client to the print server -
you do *not* get a password prompt?

In that case I guess your client is trying to establish the connection not via
kerberos/gssapi but publickey based: In that case the server cannot get
a valid kerberos ticket (because the required password was never sent)
and therefore will refuse access to the nfs share.

The reason why this works on your member server may have several
causes:

   1. different ssh client/server config on client/print/member server
   2. ssh keys / ssh-agent on client but not on member server
   3. cached krb5 credentials on server side

According to my experience the last one is the worst to debug,
because the tickets used to access NFSv4 krb5 mounts need to be
copied to kernel space in order to work.
So in your case it might also be possible that the kernel still has
those valid tickets from a former login/kinit - even if you can't list
them using "klist".

BTW:
If someone has an idea, how to locate and flush those keys in
kernel space (keyutils? /proc/keys?) I'd really like to hear about
that :-)

Bye,
   Marcel