[Samba] Samba AD DC, DHCP & Address Assignments

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Tue Sep 8 14:21:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:19:22 -0400
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 09/08/2015 09:04 AM, Jim Seymour wrote:

[snip]

> > And the zone file on deepthought might read something like...
> >
> >       somepc    IN    A    192.168.0.10
[snip]
> > Problem with the AD DC is that it lives in a sub-domain,
> > "addc.example.com", and the zone for that sub-domain is a dlz. So...
> > how do I set/assign client PCs' IP addresses?
>
> See my recent thoughts on this.

Which ones?  You've had a lot of thoughts, recently :)

> With static IP address mapping in
> DHCP, you can extend it to static zone files.
[snip]

Er... what?

All I want to do is add (and remove) forward and reverse records to the
DLZ zones in which the AD DC and its clients reside.

I think I found it (dunno why I did not, in the first place):

    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Administration

So, for the example I gave, above:

    samba-tool dns add deepthought.addc.example.com addc.example.com
     somepc A 192.168.0.10

and...

    samba-tool dns add deepthought.addc.example.com
      0.168.192.in-addr.arpa 10 PTR somepc.addc.example.com

(N.B.: "deepthought.example.com" will also work, for the first
parameter to the "add"s, above, in my case, as deepthought.example.com
and deepthought.addc.example.com are the same thing, in my case.)

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is