[Samba] User and Group management from Linux plus roaming profiles

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Sep 7 21:07:21 UTC 2015

Right now, RSAT seems not to be an option for me, as the only Win
systems here are XP...

None of my PDC users were brought over with classicupdate.  Perhaps
becuase my users are LINUX user accounts?  And the home directories map
to /home/user ?

So I would think I need to start adding users and put them into groups.
How?

And I am reading:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

At the beginning the smb.conf starts with:

[profiles]

further down in the POSIX ACLs section it is:

[Profiles]

Are these two different shares?  Or since shares are case insensitive it
does not matter?

Then there is:

chgrp „Domain Users“ /srv/samba/profiles

and I don't see „Domain Users“ defined.

Finally, as this is an AD, not a PDC, I am assuming I need to use 'ADUC'
to enable roaming profiles for selected users (that got added how, see
above).  Is ADUC available on XP?  I may have to break down and buy a
'cheap' used notebook on ebay with Win7 OEM preloaded...

As I think Marc said I don't use:

logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

for an AD.

Lastly a question on home share (and the wiki warns not to use the
default homes share, but the home share documented).

Can the home share be on a AD Member Server?  It would seem so....

thanks.  Laboring away here!