[Samba] Windows 10 with Samba PDC and Roaming profiles

Alex Winzer alex.e-mail at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 10:32:50 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm using an openSUSE server with Samba Version 4.1.18-3.33.2-3407 and
Windows 7 Professional clients for years without problems.
Now I have 5 PC with a freshly installed Windows 10 Professional on it.
On the Windows 10 machines I only changed the two registry keys[1] and
set up the switch "max protocol = nt1" in "/etc/samba/smb.conf" on the
server side.
I could join the PDC with the so prepared clients. So far so good.

a)
But now I can't use the Apps, which are an important part of Windows >=
8. I tried to get some help on administrator.de [2], where I also
inserted a picture in the first post. For a long time I thought, I would
be the only one with this problem until I found this [3] and this [4] on
a dutch page.
Especially the video show, what the problem is.

b)
My other problem/question is the startmenu. It doesn't work.
Maybe the reason are wrong excludes in the registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ExcludeProfileDirs".
I need to change this due to the reason, that some software saves
settings in "C:\User\User\AppData\Local\...". So I need this to be saved to.
The clients doesn't make a clean shutdown. If I login with a local
account. I can see, the directory
"C:\User\User\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database" with some files in
it was not deleted. This is supposed to be one possible reason for a not
working startmenu. But even to exclude this directory from the profile
doesn't help.

Can someone please help me out?
I invested a lot of days with this problem. I don't like the thought to
fail with Windows 10 after I uses Samba for more than 9 years with XP
and Windows 7.

Yours, Alex

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_settings_for_NT4-style_domains
[2] www.administrator.de/content/detail.php?id=280439