[Samba] Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for administrator at XYZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:28:55 UTC 2015

On 04/09/15 14:49, Yanni wrote:
> Hi Rowland
>
> I deleted the "domain" line from /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Sorry I didn't quite understand what you really meant about the last
> line in  /etc/hosts
> The last line in "/etc/hosts"
> 192.21.35.5 testserver1 testserver1.testad.bio.ucl.ac.uk is the
> Win-AD. Samba machine does not get its IP from DHCP so I did not
> remove that line.

Active directory lives on DNS, i.e. you must have DNS working before
trying to use AD, so that line in /etc/hosts should be redundant, if you
need it to find the AD DC, then DNS is *not* working.

> Removed 127.0.0.1 DNS from Win-AD, then restarted samba and tried to
> join it again to the AD domain but I get the very similar error below:
>
> net ads join -U administrator at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
> Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
> 'TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK' over rpc: Undetermined error
>
> So at the moment this is how my config files look like:
> pastebin.com/XGD9zy2W
>
> Could you please have a look if you the time to do so.
>
> Thanks a lot

You only need this in /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
      default_realm = TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
      dns_lookup_realm = false
      dns_lookup_kdc = true

Can you ping the AD DC from the machine you are trying to join ?
If you can, comment out the AD DC line in /etc/hosts and try again.
If you cannot, you have a DNS problem.

Rowland