[Samba] samba_dlz: Failed to configure zone... already exists

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Thu Sep 3 16:00:33 UTC 2015

Jim,

I ran into the same problems a year ago. What I did is the following.

The DC serves ad.example.com on a bind DLZ as authority.

I have a standard Bind as main DNS. It forwards everything external and
serves std.example.com as authority, but ad.example.com as slave to the DC.

An additional issue which came up was that machine.std.example.com and
machine.ad.example.com by design map to the same IP. This makes it hard
for reverse lookups and AD will break, if the reverse lookup does not
yield ad.example.com for any machine on the domain.

For that reason I wrote a small python script, which creates the reverse
zone files from the forward lookups. So adding a new machine boils down to:

1) add machine to zone file
2) restart bind
3) run python script
4) restart bind

If later on that machine shall join the domain:

1) add DNS entry to DC e.g. by join or samba-tool
2) wait for bind cache to expire on primary DNS (sadly bind_dlz does not
notify any changes :( )
3) run python script
4) restart bind

For a large deployment this should somehow be automated. ;)

Regards,
  - lars.