[Samba] Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for administrator at XYZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:05:28 UTC 2015

On 03/09/15 15:47, Yanni wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I had samba 4.1 working as a member server to a windows 2012 AD in a
> test environment for a while now until I had to re-install the windows
> server from scratch. I have the new AD setup with the same NETBIOS name
> but now I have problems re-joining the samba box to the new AD. It looks
> like a DNS issue but I am unable to understand why. After the
> ire-install, I got a new Kerberos ticket with no problem:
>
> [root at gouda ~]# klist
> Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
> Default principal: administrator at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
>
> Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
> 03/09/2015 10:12:56  03/09/2015 10:22:53
> krbtgt/TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
>
> Then I tried to join samba to the new AD:
>
> [root at gouda ~]# net ads join administrator at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
> Enter root's password:
> Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain
> administrator at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK
> some info:
> AD IP: 192.21.35.5
> Samba: 192.21.35.136
> DNS: is running on the windows server.
>
> On the samba box resolv.conf looks like this:
>
> nameserver 192.21.35.5
> search testad.bio.ucl.ac.uk
> domain testad.bio.ucl.ac.uk

Remove the 'domain' line, you cannot have both, last one is the one that
is used.

> etc/hosts looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> localhost6.localdomain6
>
> 192.21.35.5 testserver1 testserver1.testad.bio.ucl.ac.uk

The last line should refer to the machine it is running on unless the
machine gets it DNS info via DHCP, in which case remove the line.

> On the windows server:
> Primary DNS: 192.21.35.5
> Secondary DNS: 127.0.0.1

You don't need both lines, they mean the same thing.

> The hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc is empty.
>
> Do you know why I can't join the samba box to the new AD domain?
> If you have any ideas/suggestions please let me know.

Probably yes, you seem to have made a typo, it should have been:

net ads join -U administrator at TESTAD.BIO.UCL.AC.UK

Rowland