[Samba] Samba 4 DC backups

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Sep 1 04:08:53 UTC 2015

Here's what I do before tar'ring:

find / -mount -type d -path /etc/samba-JMF -prune -o -name \*.tdb -exec tdbbackup {} \;
find / -mount -name \*.tdb.bak -exec ls -l {} \;   # (log .bak updates)

This gets all the tdb files on the root filesystem, excluding mounted drived
(-mount) and excluding tdb files I have in /etc/samba-JMF which is an old
installation folder that I should probably delete anyway. Still, the example
would show you what to do if you *don't* want to back up some tdb's.

The 2nd find just logs the date/time of the tdb.bak files to the tarfile job
log.

For good measure, I also stop samba during the tar backup, which only takes 18
minutes (differential) on my system. But, I understand this is not necessary
(though it might spare me from having to actually apply the tdb.bak files should
I need to restore?)

Also don't forget to backup ACLs and ATTRs unless your version of tar preserves
these. Mine does not:

getfattr -dR /redirectedFolders /var/lib/samba/sysvol /var/lib/samba/share
getfacl -R /redirectedFolders /var/lib/samba/sysvol /var/lib/samba/share

--Mark