[Samba] S/MIME certificates in Samba 4 LDAP

Stefan Pietsch stefan.pietsch at lsexperts.de
Fri Oct 30 10:27:55 UTC 2015

Dear Samba users and developers,

we had the idea of storing S/MIME certificates in the Samba 4 LDAP.
In the Windows Active Directory Users and Computers tool I can use the
"Published Certificates" tab to add a certificate to a user account.

As Mozilla Thunderbird requests the "userCertificate;binary" attribute
of a user when sending encrypted mail, the LDAP response is empty.

This behaviour is different from a Windows 2008 R2 AD.

I tested this with Samba from Debian 4.1.17+dfsg-2.
Is this a missing feature or a bug?

Regards,
Stefan