[Samba] Samba AD: gidNumber?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:54:58 UTC 2015

On 29/10/15 16:21, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:

> On 27.10.2015 16:16, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Ok, all understood, thank you. But how can I check if it worked with
>>> the users? I manually changed the Nisdomain and uidNumber for two
>>> users using ADUC (to 10001 and 10002, respectively), I restarted
>>> Samba (was this even necessary?), and getent passwd <username> will
>>> still not return anything.
>>>
>>> In other words, what is the quickest way to check if my member
>>> server setup worked out alright?
>>
>> OK, if you compiled samba yourself and you want to test getent on the
>> member server, see this that I posted earlier:
>>
>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-October/195319.html
>>
>> If you are using distro packages, the wiki pages should give you a
>> good idea of what you need.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> So, I spent quite some time researching it all a bit more in depth but
> I get stuck at the same point, although I at least seem to have a
> better understanding of how things should be now.
>
> So, my smb.conf on the member server looks exactly like the one in the
> wiki, except that I also added ACL support as suggested on the wiki
> page "Shares with Windows ACLs". My filesystem is XFS and has ACL
> built-in.
>
> I do get proper results for wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g, but the id and
> getent commands just won't work. I'm trying it on users and groups
> that have a uidNumber or gidNumber defined, respectively.
>
> This is how my nsswitch.conf looks like:
>
> passwd: compat winbind
> group: compat winbind
> hosts:compat dns
> networks: compat dns
>
> My Samba came from a package but I verified that libnss_winbind.so.2
> is properly linked.
>
> smbd, nmbd and winbindd are properly started with no errors in the
> logs, I'm joined to the AD, I can browse the member server from my
> windows machine being logged in as Administrator. But I still can't
> seem to change ACLs on any objects in the share from within Windows,
> I'm getting error messages "Error when applying security" (I'm
> translating freely from German).
>
> Do you have any idea what's going wrong here?
>
> Viktor

OK, If I remember correctly, we are talking about a domain member here,
not a DC. If you are using the default smb.conf from here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

with the 'ad' setup from here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad

with the acl support lines from here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs#ACL_support_on_domain_members

then getent should work, but they are a few caveats, the users must have
a uidNumber inside the range 10000-99999 and Domain Users (at least)
must have a gidNumber inside the same range. Any users or groups outside
this range will be ignored and *all* users will be ignored if Domain
Users either doesn't have a gidNumber or it is outside the range.

Time must be synchronised between the machines, within 5 mins if
remember correctly.
The domain member must be joined to the domain (obviously)
The domain member must be using the DC has its DNS server

/etc/resolv.conf
search samdom.example.com
nameserver 192.168.0.3 <-- this is the ip of the DC

You only need this in /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
         default_realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
         dns_lookup_realm = false
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

Ideally your domain member should have a fixed ip, but if you are using
dhcp, check that the ipaddress isn't 127.0.0.1 or even worse 127.0.1.1.
If you using Ubuntu with Network Manager, stop it using dnsmasq.

Check that pam is setup correctly, on debian you can do this by running
'pam-auth-update'

If everything seems correct, but 'getent passwd' doesn't return any
domain users, try 'getent passwd adomainuser', later samba versions only
return individual records.

Rowland