[Samba] Local Administrators (group) and delegation in AD

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:10:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-29 12:23, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 29/10/15 09:47, Davor Vusir wrote:

>>> So, you are having problems by not using winbind and you are asking
>>> for help with sssd on a samba mailing list, I can think of ways
>>> around this, but they involve not using sssd. You may get help with
>>> this on the sssd mailing list.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> No, Rowland. I'm not asking for help with SSSD. It's working quite
>> fine. And so is winbind. And both are running fine together. I'm
>> asking if there is another way of delegating administrator access to
>> a Sambaserver. A more elegant way than what I have described.
>>
>> I would be grateful if you could share your thoughts.
>>
>> /Davor
>>

> How about this:
>
> ssh into the DC, either as root or as a user that can use sudo (you
> can use kerberos, but I am not going into that here)
>
> Create the group:
> samba-tool group add unixadmins --gid-number=GID_NUMBER
> --nis-domain=NIS_DOMAIN
>
> Add the group to Administrators:
> samba-tool group addmembers Administrators unixadmins
>
> Add the required users to unixadmins, they should get the same rights
> as if they were directly members of Administrators.
> samba-tool group addmembers unixadmins anADuser
>
> Now with setfacl, give the group unixadmins the required permissions
> on the share
>
> Rowland

It looks to me that members of unixadmins become domain administrators
if you do it like that. And then in turn get administrative privileges
on _all_ member servers and clients. That's not delegation.

Domain Admins delegate, for instance, an OU, to a select group,
unixadmins. The group members of unixadmins can not, and should not, do
Domain Admin-stuff. It's okay if unixadmins only could do admin stuff on
the Samba server. And nowhere else.

Regards
Davor