[Samba] Not showing up in network listing on Win 8.1

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Tue Oct 27 16:11:34 UTC 2015

> On 26/10/15 18:26, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> > This may not be a Samba problem, but perhaps people here know the answer.
> >
> > We are installing some Windows 8.1 Pro computers. The servers running Samba
> > 4.2.19 and 4.3.0 are not showing up in the Network display. Our domain
> > controller is also not showing up. The Windows 7 computers are showing up.
> > The domain controller is a Windows 2000 machine. I can manually map network
> > drives to the servers runnin Samba.
> >
> > I wonder if the problem is that the Domain Controller is the master browser
> > and it is too old to work correctly with Windows 8.1 machines.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Tom Schulz
> > Applied Dynamics Intl.
> > schulz at adi.com
> >

> Ah, you do know that windows 2000 went EOL 5 years ago?

Yes I know that. But our 16 year old domain controller is stuck at
Windows 2000 because of a program that that needs to run and has never
been updated.

> Are you running nmbd on the Samba servers. You say that the windows 7
> machine are showing up, but showing up where? if they only show on the
> windows 7 machines, it may be that the firewall on the win 8.1 machines
> is blocking browsing.

We are running nmbd on the Samba servers. All of our servers are showing
up on our Windows 7 and Windows XP machines. But only the Windows 7
machines show up on the Windows 8.1 machines. I just turned off the firewall
and that looks to have solved the problem. I will have to see if I can
adjust it so that I can have it on.

> Rowland

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.