[Samba] Samba AD: gidNumber?

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Tue Oct 27 14:58:22 UTC 2015

On 27.10.2015 13:54, Rowland Penny wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes, I meant the administrator. I did your suggested change on my
>> member server and restarted it. 'getent passwd administrator' is
>> still not returning anything, though. Or is that the wrong way to
>> check if it worked?
>>

> If you ran the same command on the DC, it will return something, but
> on a member server it won't, because the range you set in smb.conf is
> (if you followed the wiki, 10000-99999) above '0' and anything that is
> outside the range is ignored. This is not a problem, remember that
> Administrator is mapped to root on the member server, so if you want
> to log into the member server, you would so as root. From windows,
> Administrator becomes root and carries out any changes etc as root.
>
> Rowland

Ok, all understood, thank you. But how can I check if it worked with the
users? I manually changed the Nisdomain and uidNumber for two users
using ADUC (to 10001 and 10002, respectively), I restarted Samba (was
this even necessary?), and getent passwd <username> will still not
return anything.

In other words, what is the quickest way to check if my member server
setup worked out alright?