[Samba] Not showing up in network listing on Win 8.1

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Oct 26 18:26:14 UTC 2015

This may not be a Samba problem, but perhaps people here know the answer.

We are installing some Windows 8.1 Pro computers. The servers running Samba
4.2.19 and 4.3.0 are not showing up in the Network display. Our domain
controller is also not showing up. The Windows 7 computers are showing up.
The domain controller is a Windows 2000 machine. I can manually map network
drives to the servers runnin Samba.

I wonder if the problem is that the Domain Controller is the master browser
and it is too old to work correctly with Windows 8.1 machines.

Any ideas?

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com