[Samba] Samba 4.3 AD Member Server: No Domain configured for <hostname>

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Mon Oct 26 17:47:21 UTC 2015

On 26.10.2015 17:44, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 26/10/15 16:29, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:
>> After setting up a Samba AD Member Server following the instructions
>> on the Samba Wiki, I am running into some issues. I checked the net
>> for hints, including the list archive, and indeed my issues are
>> mentioned in many places but never accompanied by a working solution.
>>
>> I will focus on one point for now. When joining my member server to
>> the DC, I see the following output in the shell:
>>
>>     # net ads join -U administrator
>>     Using short domain name -- SAM
>>     Joined 'HOSTNAME' to dns domain 'sam.domain.com'
>>     No DNS domain configured for hostname. Unable to perform DNS Update.
>>     DNS Update failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
>>
>> If I check the domain attached computers with RSAT, this host is
>> listed but with an arrow pointing down (afaik a sign for 'disabled').
>
> You need to add the member servers DNS record to the AD DC, Unix
> doesn't add them automatically. What is your AD DC, a windows one or a
> Samba4.
>

>> I did all the various checks suggested on the wiki page, such as
>> using 'host', 'ldbsearch', 'kinit' and so on. They all return the
>> respective recommended values. But let me know if some specific
>> output would help, happy to provide it.
>>
>> [CUPS topic - solved, removed for more clarity]
>
>> Is this DNS error a relevant error at all? If yes, does anyone know
>> how it could come to this error?
>>
>> I am not sure if this is relevant information but there is no DNS
>> record for the member server on the DC. It's also nowhere mentioned
>> that this is necessary.
> It is required, otherwise how would the domain find the member server.
>
> Rowland

Thanks for your help. The CUPS messages are gone, the other problem
still persists.

It's a Samba4 DC. I added a new A record to the zone using the DNS MMC
Snap-In on Windows. The host command on Linux is now returning the
correct IP address for the member server hostname (on both the DC and
the MS). I restarted Samba on both hosts, even rebooted the member
server, but I still get the same error when joining the member server to
the AD.