[Samba] ADUC - "UNIX Attributes" tab - "Unwilling To Perform"

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:16:54 UTC 2015

On 24 October 2015 at 18:57, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/10/15 18:18, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
>> - 'getent group newgroupname2' *does* now work, whereas it definitely
>> did not last night. I don't know if there is normally a time delay
>> between creating a new group and it becoming visible to UNIX? The
>> [...]
>> resolution on my DC (and bind9 for DNS).. so perhaps any time delay
>> could be explained by something inside sssd (I must try clearing the
>> cache if this happens again) - I'm willing to believe that is the case
>> there. However, this would not have any affect on ADUC.
>
> Does the group line in /etc/nsswitch look like this: 'group compat winbind'
> or 'group compat sss' (compat could be files) , if it is the later, then
> your getent problem isn't a Samba problem.

Agreed, it is 'group files sss' so I agree with you that the getent
problem is likely to not be Samba's fault. Replication worked fine as
the group was shown on all the other DCs very quickly. At least now I
have reminded myself I am using sssd, and can try clearing its cache
next time I have issues like that :)

>> - ADUC now gives me this same 'Unwilling To Perform' error whenever I
>> open the UNIX attributes of *any* group, now. Last night I'm fairly
> [...]
>
> The ADUC error is fairly common and it usually does work, it just says it
> doesn't

aha!

OK so there /is/ something wrong (I wish I was able to find out
exactly what) - but as you say it could well still be working in spite
of the error. Now I have established that sssd is in the picture in
terms of /etc/nsswitch.conf, I can ensure the cache is flushed if any
changes I make aren't showing up, before jumping to the conclusion
that the error message actually means it hasn't worked.

I might see if I can tcpdump capture the traffic to this client VM,
and load the resulting output into Wireshark (decrypting it using the
private key of the DC, hopefully) to see what's going on.

Thanks :)

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"
      - Albert Einstein