[Samba] ADUC - "UNIX Attributes" tab - "Unwilling To Perform"

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 22:51:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am sure I have come across this before but have previously either
ignored it or somehow worked around it. However it has come up again
and this time I will try to find out what's going on, hopefully we can
fix whatever the issue is.

I have a Samba 4.2.2 domain that generally works fine; I have rfc2307
enabled so that I can keep UIDs/GIDs consistent across machines whilst
still being able to log into my DC using a domain account.

Just now I created two groups using ADUC from a Windows 7 client. For
both of these groups I went to the "UNIX Attributes" tab, selected my
single NIS Domain from the drop-down list, and accepted the
auto-incremented GID value suggested.

However, the first group works fine and the second one does not. When
I re-open the Properties screen of the second group in ADUC and click
on the "UNIX Attributes" tab, I get a pop-up dialog box entitled "UNIX
Attributes", with the simple message "Unwilling To Perform". This
second group does not appear in a "$ getent group newgroupname2" query
on my DC, whereas the first group has no errors in ADUC, and does
appear in a "$ getent group newgroupname1" command.

I have tried the following with no success
- Restarting the Windows 7 client VM
- Restarting samba4 on this DC (not on all DCs)
- Deleting newgroup2 and re-creating it as above

Still exactly the same behaviour.

There is nothing I can see in any of my samba logs; but then again I
don't have anything special turned on in terms of debugging at the
moment.

What can I check next?

I think this could be the same issue as
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-November/176815.html
but it seems there wasn't really a resolution to that one...

Thanks :)

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"