[Samba] joining second DC to domain and non creation of DC DNS records

MORILLO Jordi J.Morillo at educationetformation.fr
Fri Oct 23 10:23:26 UTC 2015

Hi Rowland,

I have similar problem with sernet  4.2.4 package: no dns entry created and logs are showing NOTAUTH for dnsupdate
Here is my work around:

New DC joins domain with:
--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ and --server=partnerDC.contoso.com

Don't start samba or bind yet !!

After that I've to correct some permissions rights on these folders/files (bind can read):
- private
- dns
- dns/*
- sam.ldb
- sam.ldb.d
- sam.ldb.d/*
- dns.keytab

If I start samba + bind, i have dnsupdate failed
Tips is to restart bind on partnerDC.contoso.com (partner replication on domain joined)
L.P.H von BELLE have similar troube, see: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-April/191143.html

After bind restarted on partnerDC, you can start samba + bind after
All dns entry are created and replicated :-)

I don't know why I have to restart bind on partnerDC between second DC domain join and second DC samba start...