[Samba] joining second DC to domain and non creation of DC DNS records

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:06:43 UTC 2015

Hi, I am in the middle of creating (or should that be re-creating) my
test domain, creation of the first DC went without incidence, so I moved
on to the second DC and this is where the problems started.

I downloaded samba 4.3.1 and compiled it, I then setup bind9 etc and
joined the new DC to the domain, everything seemed ok, so I then started
testing DNS. This is where I found that my nice new DC did not have a
DNS record.

I then remember that there was a problem, so scanned the wiki (well
somebody has to read it) and found this page:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Check_and_fix_DNS_entries_on_DC_joins

This described my problem precisely, so I started to follow it, but it
didn't fully fix my problem, in fact it changed it to another.

So I went to this page :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns_tkey_negotiategss:_TKEY_is_unacceptable

and started to follow it, but it all went pear shaped when I deleted the
bind dns account and then samba flatly refused to recreate it, saying it
still existed, when plainly it didn't ( I later found lower down the
page, that this was another known bug, but I totally missed it when I
first read the page. Note to Marc, I will be altering that page!)

So, having totally missed the next bug, what did I do, well as this was
a new DC, I stopped bind and samba, removed /usr/local/samba and re-ran
'make install' and tried again, this time everything worked. The only
difference was that this time the new DCs dns record was already in AD
on the first DC.

I now know how to join any more DCs, precreate the new DCs dns records
in AD before joining it.

Rowland