[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 22 13:02:05 UTC 2015

The next interesting question for me is:

If I put '\\server\%username%' into ADUC Windows part (or
\\server\username explicitly, for that matter), Samba on 'Ok/Apply'
registers the attempt to access a non-existing share and applies the
[homes] section (executes 'root preexec'). I tested that. However, the
user doing this is the domain admin. So Samba would look that user up
and create a new share named like the *domain admin* user - and link it
to the local home of the domain admin user (if not specified otherwise).
That is not what we want.

If I put '/home/user' into the ADUC Unix Attributes, and the user then
logs on to a domain member server, nothing will happen. Because the
share 'home' ([home] without s) already exists. Because it already has
to be mounted on the member server. Otherwise, the the user logging on
wouldn't be able to access it. And even if it did not exist: the user
always accesses locally mounted stuff, so never actually access the
Samba file server hosting the (intended) home shares

So how do you actually use this option?

The only solution I could come up with is a logon script mounting the
user's home on demand (on logon). But that would fail, because the user
has no root permissions. Right? Or am I missing something?