[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 22 08:40:49 UTC 2015

Am 22.10.2015 um 10:00 schrieb mourik jan heupink:

> On 10/21/2015 02:52 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> I am now beginning to believe the above is not true. Before a user can
>> connect to their homeshare it must exist, it is the link to this, that
>> Samba creates i.e. it changes '[homes]' to the username and connects to
>> that. This is working for me on a Debian 4.1.17 DC just as it has always
>> done on a member server, I just never tried it before.
>
> This is what we observe, yes. The only problem with this that ADUC
> autocreation does NOT work with this, rather unfortunate.
>
> If someone knowns of a way to make ADUC NOT create the homdir, we
> would like to know. The preexec in smb.conf does it, and ADUC should
> simply accept whatever we type for homedir.

Probably, the best way would be to use scripting under Windows:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/12/02/how-can-i-change-the-location-of-a-user-s-home-drive-in-active-directory.aspx

You should be able to do, whatever you do in the ADUC console on a
Windows client, via scripts, too: create the DC context, interactively
logon, and set user properties.

I formerly learned some things with the outdated MS scripting guide:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221103.aspx

More up-to-date would be a Power Shell approach (can't see right away,
whether the above link is using this). However, I have no knowledge in
that and can't tell you how it works.

Another way, of course, might be to set the windows home dir path after
the first user logon during which the share is created. But that is not
at all comfortable or practiable.